I don’t drink Guinness or eat corned beef, guys, so to make St Patrick’s Day festive this year I’ve decided to incorporate a food-related challenge. Today I will include green food at EVERY meal, including snacks. And artificially-colored green stuff doesn’t count, so no pouring green food dye over your bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, even though that’s tempting…
This morning I started with a spinach-centric smoothie of the following recipe:
– 6oz Fage 0% greek yogurt
– 42g of baby spinach
– 30g of banana
– 35g of frozen mango chunks
– 1/2 cup (120mL) of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
– 1 Tbsp of Bobs Red Mill Ground Flax Seed Meal
– 1 Tbsp ClearFiber supplement powder
– 1 Tbsp Organic Greens & Reds Supplement Powder
– a few cubes of ice
Lunchtime! Just a simple garden salad with some diced grilled chicken and yogurt dressing, recipe below!
– 85g mixed romaine and green leaf lettuce
– 4 oz diced grilled chicken breast
– 35g cucumbers
– 64g green, red, and orange bell pepper strips
– 40g cherry tomatoes, halved
– 30g Bolthouse Farms Classic Ranch Yogurt Dressing
Snacktime! Uhhh, I have some cucumbers, so how about this?
Cucumbers count, right?!? Okay so I’ll admit it, the cheese on the cucumbers was weird. Ingredients list below:
– 2 oz sliced cucumbers
– 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Light Queso Fresco & Chipotle cheese
– 100g of red seedless grapes (individually hand cleaned/polished. I have grape OCD issues!)
– 100-calorie packet of Emerald Cinnamon Roast Almonds
Dinner was the most exciting meal of the day, by far…
I picked up my very first food processor on Sunday and had a chance to break it in for this dinner. I found this paleo-friendly Zucchini Noodles with Avocado Cream Sauce recipe online and it fit the bill for the Green Day Challenge perfectly! I made a few modifications, like replacing the bacon fat/tallow with a little olive oil spray for cooking the noodles, and I ended up adding about a half cup of lowfat milk because our avocados were not exactly ripe and needed the additional liquid to cream it up. I also added some grilled chicken for extra protein. Very garlicky, but delicious.
Dessert was a bit of an afterthought. After tracking my meals, I found myself to be a little short on the carb and calorie side, so I figured adding in a little green frozen yogurt wouldn’t hurt. A quick trip to my local Menchie’s franchise yielded me a little over 4 ounces of their flavor of the month, Key Lime Pie! As you can see, the puppy was especially intrigued. Artificially-colored, for sure, but c’mon, it’s DESSERT!
Did you tackle the challenge along with me? If so, I’d love to hear about it in the comments feed. Who knows, maybe I’ll make this an annual event (hence the post title), and come up with a clever hashtag or something for next year. Hope everyone had a fantastic St Patrick’s Day, and thanks for reading!